The WCA Regulations Committee (WRC) is looking for up to 5 new members. Interested community members of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The applications are open to everyone; it’s not a requirement to hold a current position in the WCA to be considered.
What does the WRC do?
- Update and improve the WCA Regulations. (See our public GitHub repository and the WCA Forum page.)
- Read competition reports and respond to incidents.
- Engage with the WCA community for feedback about the Regulations.
- Address any issues and inquiries related to the Regulations.
The official rights and duties of the WRC are documented in WCA Motion 10.2021.9.
The qualities and requirements expected of candidates are:
- Regularly check and respond to email (5-10 emails/day).
- Objectively apply the letter and spirit of the WCA Regulations.
- Compassionately and constructively discuss how to address incidents.
- Time commitment of 5-10 hours per week.
The WCA Executive Assistants Team is seeking new members!
The WCA Executive Assistants Team (WEAT) is a team that assists the WCA Board with administrative tasks. The rights and duties of the WEAT can be found here.
The following are the expected requirements for applicant:
- Commitment of approximately 2-4 hours per week
- Strong organizational skills
- Good communication skills
The candidacy documents must be in PDF format, and must include:
- Brief personal introduction.
- Summary of activities done for the WCA Community.
- Reasons you are fit for the role.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com from now until May 16th, 2022, 23:59 UTC to be considered.
Dear WCA Staff & Regional Organizations,
The Board of Directors would like to receive applications for WCA Continental Championships 2024 for the following regions:
- North America
- South America
Please discuss with the Delegates in your country whether this is something you are willing and able to pursue. Bear in mind that organizing a competition of this size takes a significant amount of time and effort before and during the competition. Please note that applications for continental championships must be endorsed by WCA Recognized Regional Organizations.
If you are interested, send your application documents privately to firstname.lastname@example.org before May 31st, 2022, 23:59UTC. Documents must be sent in PDF format in two versions: one full version with all the details for the application, and another version with sensitive details - if any - removed to make public.
We are happy to announce that we have a new Senior Delegate in Latin America. Marlon de V. Marques will become the new Senior Delegate in this region.
We wish Marlon best of luck in fulfilling his new duties.
There was one other candidate who applied for the position:
- Areli Rubi Gordillo Martínez
You can find their candidacy documents here.
The WCA Marketing Team (WMT) is seeking new members!
What does the WCA Marketing Team do?
The WMT is responsible for managing WCA relationships with external partners as well as working closely on the WCA Brand, including WCA merchandise, social media engagement and market research and promotion of large events.
Here are some of the key projects the WMT is working on -
- You may have seen the launch of the WCA Merchandise Store - the WMT is seeking members who can help develop and grow the merchandising, this is a great opportunity for someone who’s passionate about growing the WCA brand and reach through merchandising.
Sponsorships & Contracts
- WMT works with current WCA sponsors like Spin Master, and also works on exploring potential opportunities for the WCA (global and local scales). Candidates who have worked on getting sponsorships for competitions they have organized, or regional organizations they have been part of are strongly encouraged to apply and shape the future of the WCA.
- Closely related to the last point, WMT is looking for members who can help market the continental championships, as well as the world championships - specifically in promoting the WCA brand and growing our reach in order to gain as many competitors and spectators as possible, both in person and online.
The WCA Advisory Council (WAC) is seeking new members from both the community and staff to assist the council in its duties.
The application is open to all WCA members.
What is the WAC and what do they do?
The biggest task of the WAC is to be an intermediary between the community and the WCA Staff - to give the community a voice when important topics are being discussed, along with establishing consistent and bilateral communication lines between the community and the WCA Staff. The Community Representatives, along with Staff Representatives are a vital part of that process. More information about the main functions of the WAC can be found here: WCA Motion 20.2021.01.
The council has 2 sub-teams - Community Representatives and WCA Representatives. This announcement is for both Community and Staff representatives, which means that anyone in the community, including WCA Staff, is able to apply for this position. If you have never held a formal position in the WCA before, this an exciting opportunity to contribute towards making the WCA even better!
Current key projects of the council involve moderation and management of the WCA Forum and developing different channels to gather community feedback useful for the WCA.
Dear WCA Community,
Here at the end of 2021, we once again find ourselves reflecting on a challenging year for cubers everywhere. Despite the circumstances, there were many accomplishments within the WCA that are reason to celebrate and look forward to the year ahead.
Dear WCA Community,
The WRC would like to inform you about the versions of the WCA Regulations and Guidelines, which are going into effect January 1, 2022.
You can review all changes in this comparison on GitHub. You can click on “Files changed” to see the complete files of the Regulation and Guidelines, where all changes and additions are marked green and removals are red.
Here is a summary of the changes in the new version of the Regulations and the Guidelines:
- Approving Speed Stacks Stackmat timer Generation 5. (commit | discussion)
- Clarification on how disqualifications affect results. (commit | discussion)
- Clarification on late competitors to rounds with cumulative time limits. (commit | commit | discussion)
- Clarification on Clock hardware, which is approved at WCA Delegate discretion. (commit | commit | discussion)
- Puzzles are allowed to have transparent parts as long as they do not provide additional information. (commit | discussion)
- Strongly recommend competitors to turn off notifications and calls. (commit | discussion)
We are happy to announce that we have a new Senior Delegate for USA & Canada - Matthew Dickman. We would like to thank Kit Clement for his service as Senior Delegate for the region previously.
Matthew was selected by the WCA Board by voting among them, following Section 4 of our Motion about Senior Delegates.
We wish Matthew the best of luck in fulfilling his new duties. His term as Senior Delegate began on November 18, 2021.
An application was also received from James Hildreth for the position. We want to thank both applicants for their willingness in helping the WCA and the Speedcubing Community even more than they currently do. You can view both of their candidacy documents here.