Dear WCA Community,
The WRC would like to inform you about the versions of the WCA Regulations and Guidelines, which are going into effect January 1, 2022.
You can review all changes in this comparison on GitHub. You can click on “Files changed” to see the complete files of the Regulation and Guidelines, where all changes and additions are marked green and removals are red.
Here is a summary of the changes in the new version of the Regulations and the Guidelines:
- Approving Speed Stacks Stackmat timer Generation 5. (commit | discussion)
- Clarification on how disqualifications affect results. (commit | discussion)
- Clarification on late competitors to rounds with cumulative time limits. (commit | commit | discussion)
- Clarification on Clock hardware, which is approved at WCA Delegate discretion. (commit | commit | discussion)
- Puzzles are allowed to have transparent parts as long as they do not provide additional information. (commit | discussion)
- Strongly recommend competitors to turn off notifications and calls. (commit | discussion)
We are happy to announce that we have a new Senior Delegate for USA & Canada - Matthew Dickman. We would like to thank Kit Clement for his service as Senior Delegate for the region previously.
Matthew was selected by the WCA Board by voting among them, following Section 4 of our Motion about Senior Delegates.
We wish Matthew the best of luck in fulfilling his new duties. His term as Senior Delegate began on November 18, 2021.
An application was also received from James Hildreth for the position. We want to thank both applicants for their willingness in helping the WCA and the Speedcubing Community even more than they currently do. You can view both of their candidacy documents here.
With the terms of Board Members Bob Burton and Henrik Buus Aagaard coming to an end, applications were opened for the Board of Directors. Unfortunately, no applications were received for the position(s) which has stopped the Board election process.
The terms of Bob and Henrik ended at 23:59 UTC on November 8, 2021. From this point the Board has been reduced to the remaining three members.
We want to thank both Bob and Henrik for all the accomplishments they have had in their positions and for their dedication to the WCA. We wish them all the best for whatever is up next!
There will be an appointment of a new WCA Communication Team (WCT) Leader, as Lauren Clement’s term has expired in her position as the Leader of the Team. We would like to thank Lauren for the work she has done in this position so far.
Candidates are expected to fulfill their term (24 months) and to spend at least 5 hours per week on average to work for the committee. The qualities expected of candidates are:
- Strong leadership skills
- Attention to detail
- Communication skills
The application period for candidates to submit their candidacy documents is from now until November 18th, 2021, 23:59 UTC. Interested candidates can send the application privately to the WCA Board (email@example.com).
We are happy to announce that we have a new Senior Delegate in Asia West and South: Akash Rupela.
Akash’s term had been extended previously but as noted on the rights and duties of WCA Senior Delegates available in WCA Motion 09.2021.1, a new appointment had to be made at this time. There were no other candidates who applied for the position.
We wish Akash Rupela the best of luck in continuing to fulfill his duties in the region.
You can find his candidacy document here.
We are happy to announce that we have a new WCA Results Team (WRT) Leader, Sébastien Auroux. Sébastien’s term had already been extended previously but as noted on the rights and duties of WCA Committees & Teams available in WCA Motion 10.2021.0, a new appointment had to be made.
Sébastien was selected by the WCA Board and approved in a vote among the current Committee Leaders and Senior Delegates, following Section 4 of our Motion about WCA Committees and Teams.
Other than Sébastien, the following individuals also applied:
- Brandon Reichman
You can find both of their candidacy documents here. We thank Brandon for the application and wish Sébastien luck with his continued work with the team.
After a few months of feedback and review, the WCA Regulations Committee (WRC) and the WCA Board have decided to update the official list of approved timer versions (see Regulation 7f1a). The following changes will take effect:
- Speed Stacks Stackmat timer Generation 5 will be approved alongside 2022 Regulations.
- Speed Stacks Stackmat timer Generation 2 will no longer be an approved timer alongside 2023 Regulations.
The Generation 2 Timers have to be removed to address some concerns about Stackmat timer malfunctions. A grace period of over one year will be granted to allow the communities that still use these timers to make the arrangements to replace them.
At the same time, this update on the list of approved timers will bring more opportunities to organizers and WCA Delegates.
The Board is providing notice as required by Bylaw 2.12 of the Annual Meeting of WCA members which will be held on October 17 at 18:00 UTC. Members will be able to tune into this meeting via a livestream hosted on the WCA Twitch. In this folder you will find the information packet related to the annual meeting which contains all relevant documentation that will be discussed at the meeting.
We look forward to your participation in the upcoming annual meeting.
The WCA Ethics Committee (WEC) is seeking new members to help them with their mission! The applications are open to everyone; it’s not a requirement to hold a current position in the WCA to be considered.
What does the WEC do?
- Maintaining and updating the Code of Ethics.
- Ensures that all procedures followed by WCA Staff abide by the Code of Ethics.
- Performs independent investigations if any WCA Staff member is not compliant with said Code of Ethics.
- Confidant for Registered Speedcubers that request investigations.
- Functions as the board of appeal if any involved party disagrees with a decision made by the WCA Disciplinary Committee.
The official rights and duties of the WEC are documented in WCA Motion 10.2021.4.
The qualities and requirements expected of candidates are:
- Clear background
- Personal time management skills
- Ability to discuss reasoning and ideas
- Familiarity with WCA activities
The application period is open for applicants to submit their application documents from now until October 3rd, 2021, 23:59 UTC to Blake Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The WCA Board has recently approved the updates to the following policies:
- WCA Competition Requirements Policy - Includes an introduction and increased scope of series competitions and a variety of adjustments to previously created sections. The full list of changes can be found here.
- WCA Dues Policy - These changes will take effect starting January 1, 2022 and can be viewed here.