The WCA Quality Assurance Committee has implemented the Scramble Accountability Policy through discussion and collaboration with the WCA Regulations Committee (WRC) and feedback from the Board, Senior Delegates, and Committee/Team Leaders.
The purpose of this policy is to define standards of how official WCA Scrambles must be treated and will be enforced by the WRC. The policy is targeted towards WCA Delegates and competition organization teams for giving instructions on how they ensure scramble integrity through the standards of scrambles and scrambling, and venue setup standards.
We are pleased to announce that Tianyu Zhao has been appointed as the Project Management Lead of the WCT China team, as Chenxi Shan is stepping down from the role.
Tianyu joined the WCT China team in Oct. 2018, working on translation tasks, and became the translation team leader in Oct. 2019. As one of the most valuable members of the WCT China team, his dedicated effort was appreciated by many.We believe that Tianyu will successfully lead the China team to new milestones, and best wishes to him for this new journey.
There will be an appointment of a new WCA Results Team (WRT) Leader, as Sébastien Auroux is stepping down from his position as the Leader of the Team. We would like to thank Sébastien for the work he has done in this position.
The application is open to all WCA members. Potential applicants do not have to hold a current position to be considered.
Candidates are expected to fulfill their terms (24 months) and to spend at least 5 hours per week on average to work for the committee. The qualities expected of candidates are:
- Strong leadership skills
- Attention to detail
- Analytical thinking
- Experience with SQL (MySQL) and programming are beneficial, but not strictly mandatory
The application period for candidates to submit their candidacy documents is from now until September 1st, 2021, 23:59 UTC. Interested candidates can send the application privately to the WCA Board (email@example.com).
The WCA Board has decided on the following guidelines in order for a competition to be approved:
Country case counts less than 1 per million:
- Senior Delegate may approve the competition restrictionless meaning the organizers do not need to follow the ‘holding of competitions’ section of the WCA Competition Safety Policy
- Senior Delegates should consider the ability to travel from areas of more prevalent infection before approving a competition as restrictionless.
Country case counts less than 50 per million:
- Senior Delegate may approve the competition
- Competition safety plan should be reviewed showing consideration for the ‘holding of competitions’ section of the WCA Competition Safety Policy
- A competitor limit may be approved to a maximum of 1 attendee per 2 square meters (1 competitor per 4 square meters)
- No action is required if case numbers rise above 50 per million (unless case counts exceed 100 per million) except checking that the safety plan is suitable for the increased number
Country case counts less than 100 per million:
- Board will be in charge of competition approvals
- Competition safety plan will be reviewed through our google form link and the plan should completely cover the ‘holding of competitions’ section of the WCA competition safety policy
- Competitions will be approved up to a maximum of 1 attendee per 3 square meters (1 competitor per 6 square meters)
- If case numbers rise above 100 per million in the period of 2 weeks to 7 days before the competition then it will be cancelled except for when the following section applies.
Country case counts less than 200 per million:
- No new competitions will be announced if the country is above 100 per million cases.
Already announced competitions may proceed provided they meet the following 3 requirements:
- Greater than 50% of the population has received the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
- All attendees are required to have received the final dose of a COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the competition or show a negative COVID-19 test from no more than 96 hours before the start of the competition. The organizer/Delegates must verify proof of this from all attendees before they enter the venue
- All points in the WCA Competition Safety Policy are to be strictly adhered to throughout the duration of the competition.
If case numbers rise above 200 per million in the period of 2 weeks to 7 days before the competition then it will be cancelled without exception.
We are sorry to inform you that the competitions, Guangzhou Cubing Heat 2021, has been cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak.
All paid fees will be 100% refunded. Competitors who have cancelled their registration will receive another 50% refund too. Please wait in patience for the refund. If you have any questions, please contact the organizers and/or delegates.
It is with the deepest regret that we inform you that there will be no WCA World Championship this year.
This week, the core team and the WCA Board came to the inevitable conclusion that we must cancel the championship. We are very sorry that we have to disappoint everyone who was looking forward to this event.
For a long time we were confident that the (postponed) championship in Almere could go ahead. However, the recent developments show us that this is no longer a realistic scenario.
One of the goals of the WCA World Championships is to have participants from as many countries as possible. Traditionally many of these participants travel a long distance, often with their families, to attend the event. Therefore we think that we should give the participants maximum confidence that the competition will take place, once they have registered and booked their trips.
Unfortunately now with less than five months before the planned dates of the World Championship we cannot give that confidence. We have to deal with ongoing uncertainty surrounding government regulations for major events in The Netherlands. Regulations are changing by the week and measures that have been relieved are again taken once the number of new positive tests is increasing. Usually the first measure to be taken is to cancel events with many attendants and such a measure is the last to be relieved again.
In addition to that, international travelling is still very limited and highly regulated. Even people who are fully vaccinated often need to be tested. Many countries have negative travel advice or require quarantaine when travelling. We know from several top cubers that they were not going to attend the World Championship because of these limitations. We have no control over these measures and no exceptions will be made for our World Championship.
Even if in December everything is looking better, there will still be a real risk that we have to cancel the competition if the number of new positive tests is increasing or if some countries give negative travel advice for The Netherlands. The conditions for the competition are also quite uncertain: we may be required to do daily testing for competitors and visitors. We have to deal with the risk of competitors and/or staff getting infected during the championship and not being able to participate or do their staff duties.
This definitively puts an end to our current plans for a large championship in The Netherlands. Next year there will be the continental championships in Copenhagen, Melbourne, Brasilia, Cape Town, Semey and Toronto. The next World Championship will be in Seoul, Korea. We wish the organizing teams the best of luck.
We wanted nothing more than to organize the best World Championship ever and give you a fantastic experience. As the organizing team, we are of course very disappointed. But it is what it is, unfortunately. We thank everyone who contributed to this championship. Together we put an enormous amount of effort into this. Many thanks, it was a pleasure to work with you.
We are sorry to inform you that the following competitions have been cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak.
All paid fees will be 100% refunded. Competitors who have cancelled their registration will received another 50% refund too. Please wait in patient for the refund. If you had any questions, please contact the organizers and/or delegates.
The subsequent re-opening registration and other arrangements will be updated on the competition website. We kindly remind the cubers from other cities outside Chengdu not to arrange the itinerary before the follow-up announcement is updated.
Beijing Summer 2021, the event planned to be held in Beijing from July 31st to August 1st, has been cancelled.
Regarding the refund of this competition and other matters, the organizing team will contact all the registered competitors by follow-up E-mails. Please be patient.Thank you all for your attention and support to this event. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.